Friday, September 17, 2010

LAST DAY (part 1)



"Victory belongs to the most persevering."

~Napoleon








Even standing in front of the finish line, the signs might be misleading.

That was the case yesterday morning, and until I left for my run home. At that point, a major breakthrough happened, and now, I am almost finished.

I realized that I have not been taking in enough calories during my runs this week. This may not have been an issue for the first couple of days, but then the mornings of the 4th day, my muscles finally were empty. The solution was eating plenty of Hammer Gel during my run home last night, and hydrating like crazy all day long. The result? Probably the best I have felt since Monday.

I carried that philosophy through to this morning. I woke up, well aware that today is the final leg of this self-imposed foolishness (thanks for the comment, Amber, it was well said), feeling like I can really do anything. I broke through the pain last night and figured out what it took to survive. My knees have no pain, my muscles have no pain, I am not sore, sick, or tired. I feel like I can run. The one irritation? My little toe, on my left foot. That poor little guy is getting mashed by the toe next to it... and thats the only thing bothering me now.

I have one 13 mile run left.

This morning was so easy I can't even describe it. I woke up with a little teensie bit of stiffness in my hamstrings, which went away as soon as I went down the stairs. I left the house in the dark into the humid, warm air of Kenmore, my headlamp guiding my way. When I got to the Burke Gilman trail, I smiled, and made a deal with myself to, above all, enjoy today.

It was as if I was on a jogging tour of Western Lake Washington, enjoying the scenery as I went. When I felt like walking, I walked (which was a couple of times for maybe a minute each). I ate my gels religiously, and drank an entire hydration pack's worth of Sustain Grapefruit flavor. It wasn't raining but the ground was freshly wet.

I was a bit sad that its coming to an end, soon, but elated that I could really do this.

I wished I had someone to run with. I have run all this distance, save but 2 miles when Jan rode the bike with me, alone, and now I want to share my triumph with someone. Maybe its fitting that I can enjoy this final 26 miles by myself, however I want, in my thoughts.

That is how I tend to do things, after all.

1 comment:

  1. You ARE sharing your triumph. ALL of us who wait each day to read your words are right there, if only tangibly in spirit, willing you on. Your quest speaks loudly in our hearts, reminding us (in your image) that it is indeed possible to surmount the obstacles thrown at us by our own little minds. It is possible to succeed.
    You may think you are celebrating alone... I know how THAT feels... but I also know that you should understand that your victory bouys us all. You lead by example. That speaks louder than any words.

    ReplyDelete