Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 3 (part 2)



“A retentive memory may be a good thing, but the ability to forget is the true token of greatness.”

~Elbert Hubbard








I left for home knowing I was over the halfway point. My legs felt awful as soon as I started running.

I ate my last Hammer Gel and Clif Shot Bloc when I arrived at UW after the morning run. I did this, knowing I had nothing left with me, because Jan was going to Bothell Ski and Bike and picking up a bunch more for me. I asked her if she wanted to meet me on the trail after her bike ride, that afternoon, because I think I could really use the company and I figured she could bring me a refill of Hammer Gel. I suppose I should have been more explicit when we spoke...

I don't remember most of the run. It was hard getting going, really hard. But, after 4-5 miles, I was rolling. I felt ok, but the important thing was that I had "a good focus" going, and was REALLY looking forward to the company and the gel. I was starving. It was raining harder.

I ran. And ran. I passed half way. I felt great, now. I decided not to stop because I would stop when I saw the girl. 5 miles to go. Where is she?

Pouring rain, I am soaked. Water everywhere, and mud, of course.

4.5 miles, I stop. Crap, I hope I didn't mess up and miss her somehow, although it's technically impossible I guess. I hoped everything was okay. I stretched and drank, and was really hungry. I decide after a few moments to start running again. And, of course, not 2 minutes later, who should come meandering down the trail on her little blue bike, in her rain jacket getting soaked? Jan! Yay!

With no Hammer Gel. It was, actually, a very funny moment. I didn't care too much because I only had 4 miles to go, approximately, and she brought me a bottle with our NEW Grapefruit flavored Sustain sports drink. THAT was super duper yummy.

She rode along with me, in the pouring rain, and I knew she must be getting cold. Finally she sped off to go home and take the dog for a Vibram run, and I motored along.

I made it to the busy intersection where I had to wait for the crosswalk light in 1:45. I will call it 1:47 for this run. Legs are tired, and they hurt, but good. No real issues except my toes--the joints are aching and the are getting pretty worn. We will see how it goes, but at this point, I was ecstatic because there are only 2 days left. Unbelievable.

4 comments:

  1. Support crew fail. :( Boy do I win points. Glad you were able to make it home and still feel good. Maybe the gyros after made up for the Hammergel miss on my part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that you rode out in the nasty rain at ALL just to balance on your bike while I shuffle along, with a bottle containing the new flavor of Sustain for me, is all I could ever hope for. It made the biggest difference just looking ahead to seeing you. Now, what is going to get me through thursday afternoon and friday?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. As deep as you've had to dig so far... I think there are doors opening, to places you have just caught glimpses of as you get deeper into this quest. What awaits you is a probably one of the most precious gifts you'll ever give yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep.

    A 750 mL bottle of Rodenbach. Oh baby.

    ReplyDelete