Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 1 (part 2)

As it can be said of Milton, perhaps it can be said of me;
"...he was born for whatever is arduous."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Sitting at my desk through the day, I realized that perhaps I have bitten off more than I can chew.

For those of you who know me, this is not a new phenomenon.

The cold air turned on at 9 AM and my knees and ankles and elbows and neck all started to ache. I havent rested much in the past few days, and then running the 13 miles in with the pack was a bit rough. So, sitting at my desk all day with the cool air blowing onto me, after having run in on 3.5 hours sleep and my crazy party Sunday, I wasn't feeling like running home.

At 4 PM I decided to just go. I wasn't productive sitting here any longer anyway, and it was gorgeous outside.

Since I went a little too fast, this morning, I really focused on being disciplined. I was going to start the watch, but not look at it. I was going to run slow and purposefully. At least 2 hours. Which shouldn't be hard considering I feel like dog doo.

I took my first few steps outside. Oh, geez, this feels awful. I decided to walk a bit first. Man, this is far worse than I expected. I started shuffling along. It turned into a jog. In a few more steps it was 10 minute miles. Hey, this is much better!! Things were looking up. By mile 2 the shirt had to go. I was roasting in the sun and sweating a ton. I stopped, took my shirt off and tied it around a strap on my camelback. I popped a shot bloc with caffeine and took a swig of water. Except, as luck would have it, it was my LAST swig... I forgot to refill my pack before I left and now, it is so warm outside, I know I am going to need more to drink. I decided to just refill at Matthews beach park, which was about half way.

I felt really good. The first 3-4 miles are uphill out of the University District, and at this nice, gentle grade. I think it was perfect for this run because the gentle uphill let me spare a bit of the impact on my legs while warming up nicely, and I settled into a nice groove. I started getting REALLY hungry. A bit shaky, too. Not like I have never experienced this before, or anything, but it was only mile 4-5 and I couldn't eat because I didn't have any water. So I stopped and picked a few blackberries (YUMMY), which helped a lot. I was happy again.

I held that until Matthews beach where, as I thought, was a drinking fountain that received some love followed by the men's bathroom (with a Seattle Policeman using the urinal who gave me a very hard stare). I fixed up my stuff, popped a Hammer gel and water and set out for home. It was indeed a beautiful afternoon, and I was enjoying the flat-slightly downhill miles from Lake City to Kenmore. I was slowly speeding up, as well, which I didn't realize until I got home.

I stopped my watch and looked. 1:48. Oops.

I felt really good as I walked up to my house. What a great way to spend 3.5 hours a day.

I got a text message from my neighbor and good friend who I am doing the running leg for in a multi-leg multi-sport race on saturday, who wanted to talk coordination. I told him I was putting beer in the freezer to chill and one was his--unless he took too long in which case they were both mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment